Thursday, March 6, 2014

Green Dyed Hard Eggs {Using stuff you already have in your pantry}

This week at the elementary school is Dr Suess Reading Week so for today the PTO wanted Green Eggs for all the kids because, you know: "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr Seuss. 
It's too early to get the Easter stuff out and I didn't want to spend any money on egg kits at the store which is the only way I've ever dyed eggs. So I tried this method and now I'm blogging about it so that I remember that it works! And it's easy to do even if you need to do several dozen at once.

I started by bringing 2 dozen eggs covered with water to a boil, then letting them sit, covered, for 20 minutes. Then I put them in a bowl of ice water until they were cool. I then took the same pot of water and brought it to a boil again adding about 4 tablespoons of vinegar (I just eyeballed it) and about 20 drops of green food dye. After it was brought to a boil I took it off the heat and I put the eggs back in the pot to sit for 5 minutes. My directions said they just needed to sit in the dye for 5 minutes so I checked them but wondered if they sat for another 5 minutes if they would turn a deeper green. So they sat another 5 minutes but when I pulled them out I don't think they were any darker, so I think 5 minutes is sufficient. Then I just put them back in their crates, ready for school. Easy peasy.


"...I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!
I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you, 
Sam-I-am!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Please do not post any personal information including family names, where I live, etc. And if you are not a registered user, please let me know who you are.} NOW... Tell me what you think!!