Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4th tradition: Homemade Blackberry Pie


Every 4th of July, we go on a berry picking excursion for wild blackberries. This year we found a terrific spot we hadn't seen before and brought enough home for 2 pies and 2 batches of homemade jam. I was so excited, we had never picked so many!!!

Here is the classic recipe I use from my vintage Betty Crocker.
For 1- 9-inch pie: Prepare pastry. Heat Oven to 425'. Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix with 4 cups fresh berries. Turn into pastry-lined pan; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
Cover with top crust with slits (or stars) in it, and cover edges with aluminum foil, removing the last 15 minutes of baking.
Bake 45 minutes.
*I suggest putting foil on the rack underneath the rack the pie is on to catch any berry juice bubbling over.
And enjoy with vanilla ice cream!

Hope your holiday was as DeLiCiOuS as ours was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Please do not post any personal information including family names, where I live, etc. And if you are not a registered user, please let me know who you are.} NOW... Tell me what you think!!